Monday, November 12, 2012

Completed: Instant Book

Last Wednesday was our critique for the instant book project. As I previously wrote in another post, my book was pretty personal, so I was a bit nervous about sharing it with the class. I've always loved expressing myself through poems, song lyrics, and writing in general, so I was excited for the class to read one of my little poems. I was definitely pleased with my final project because I felt as though the images I incorporated brought the poem to life.

Professor Greenan mentioned the fact that images almost took us away to Paris and made it seem as though this story was happening elsewhere. She also commented on the fact that I wrote the story in third person. To be honest, it happened quite subconsciously and as I look back, I think I wanted to tell the story as though everything that I was talking about had happened to another girl and not necessarily to me. One of the main themes of the book was also the importance of numbers. I know for a fact that I will never forget the time that my Dad passed, his age, my age at the time, or the date. Those numbers are burned in my brain and I think that by emphasizing them, I was able to make the readers realize just how much losing someone can impact your existence.

Here's how my book turned out:

*There is spelling mistake (clock), but I did correct this before the final printing.

Here's the inside poster:


I wanted the font that I used to tell the story/poem to look handwritten and give the reader the sense that they were maybe even reading a personal letter or journal. Everything from the photographs to the text is original, except for the final quote on the inside poster. I wanted to include that specific quote because it describes my Dad and the fact that he never told me what to do with my life or how to carry myself, he merely set an example and I learned from that. 

Any thoughts or comments are more than welcome! Thanks for checking this out. :) 

I would also like to dedicate this post to my Dad. Thank you for being such an amazing person and teaching me to love who I am and never give up on any dream no matter how massive it may seem. You were the best and I hope to make you proud. I love you, dearly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment