Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Project One: Magazine Layout

On Monday we presented our first graded project of the semester, the magazine layout. For my layout, I decided to work with "The Great Pumpkins" article because I am a massive fan of the fall season and I felt I could be fairly creative with this specific theme.

Being a fan of simplistic and modern design, I tried to create a layout that was innovative and yet somewhat traditional. I really enjoyed working with line and color, which you can see when you view my final project. Due to the theme of pumpkins, I consciously chose to use the colors; orange, black, white and a few neutral shades that were featured in the selected photographs.

As for the use of line, I originally had each column sectioned off, but with some guidance from Professor Greenan, I removed two of the thicker black lines to make the layout less structured.

The idea of layering a text box on-top of the two featured photographs came from one of the magazines that the Professor brought into class a few weeks back for us to skim through. I thought it gave the piece a more dimensional look and even allowed me to only use two images without it looking too simple.

For the font choices, I wanted to incorporate more than one typeface. The text is in Garamond, while the title is in Helvetica and the font size increases. I decided to do this to emphasis the title, considering it is indeed the "The Great Pumpkins."

Here is the final product:


No comments:

Post a Comment